Transforming workshop services into the digital age
The digital transformation process, which is affecting all areas of the economy and society, does not stop at the construction industry.
Megatrends such as Building Information Modelling (BIM), Construction Intelligence, Mixed Reality applications and Cloud Computing are gaining momentum and will permanently change the construction sector.
But the future does not only belong to the big issues accelerated by IT technology. There is also considerable potential in gradual digitisation "on a small scale", which is particularly worth exploiting in medium-sized construction companies. Instead of paperwork, the workshop services of a construction company, for example, can gradually be raised to a higher level of efficiency through digital approaches. Digital approaches promise great benefits. Especially against the background of further company growth, an increase in the degree of digitisation is absolutely necessary in order to make processes more efficient and cost-effective. Digitisation as a growth catalyst!
Traditional workshop processes in medium-sized construction companies have evolved and are therefore often characterized by specialist knowledge - especially with regard to organizational matters and processes - and hands-on pragmatism. In the process, certain parts are accepted as a black box of which no one knows what is going on inside and how. Transparency and security through digitisation for first promising measures in the following areas are for example:
- Warehouse management: Systemic support of the logistical processes between ordering, goods issue and warehouse evaluation results in process and inventory security instead of too much "dead capital commitment".
- Consumables: consistent software-supported ordering and issuing, no uncontrolled "self-service" enables process and inventory security, reduction of media discontinuities, fewer write-offs of losses and promotes the allocation of responsibility through cost center postings.
- Digital recording of a workshop order via app: Recording on the construction site and direct transfer to the back office with all relevant information for direct repair planning supports a process acceleration, reduction of queries as well as a reduction of downtimes.
- Contact data and navigation from the construction site to the nearest contractual service partner when entering the workshop order helps to reduce effort and shows the quickest way to the right service partner.
- Remote vehicle diagnostics over-the-air: Increased speed in the diagnostic process and a better 1st fixed rate in the back office are components of predictive maintenance and support the reduction of downtimes.
The ServiceXpert consulting methodology for the digitisation of workshop processes is step-by-step and agile with short feedback cycles on interim results. The feasibility of an individual digitisation package is tested in a POC (proof of concept) before the final implementation takes place. Effort/benefit prioritisations help to draw up a roadmap for the sequence of the individual packages identified. In the end, the achievement of the set key performance indicators (KPI) is just as important as the acceptance and satisfaction on the construction sites, because both contribute significantly to the success of the individual measures and the overall package.
Based on this, the next digitisation initiatives in the company are planned and approached step by step. Smart, contemporary services for the success of the company!
ServiceXpert, an ESG-Group company, employs over 85 staff in Hamburg and Munich. ServiceXpert is a Europe-wide operating system and software house with a focused service portfolio for Lifecycle management of EE information for leading manufacturers of commercial vehicle and their supplier industry.